I have been wondering- can emcmot be separated from the HAl and emctask and become a true dedicated realtime stage to control the joints?

The shared memory FIFOs could be replaced with like an ethernet link to the hardware RAM.  You'd probably load a DMA buffer and just let it flow, there's some minor latency but there's not a realtime requirement.

There are cheap high freq MCUs with single-cycle hardware double multiply/add and gobs of memory.  It would have to be coded in non-OOP C and I greatly prefer hardware interrupt-driven strategies over RTOS.

Danny