I don't understand the want to move the realtime stuff out of the
computer.  What shortcoming are you wanting to solve?  I have not had a
problem with computer hardware performing the real time parts.  Now that
rt_preempt is getting mainlined into the kernel - it can only get better.
I have even had quite a few laptops now that perform quite well.  The
amount of work that would be required to duplicate the flexibility/ease of
use of motion/hal in hardware would be a ton.

sam