With the post and spindle a degree off, that's a likely contributor to various
issues. It would definitely increase forces on the tooling when rigid tapping.
Rather than messing about with shims I'd be taking the thing apart and finding
a shop where I could borrow the use of a bigger mill to ensure the areas of
column and base meet are flat and parallel to the spindle on the column, flat
and perpendicular to the table ways on the base.
When I owned the 30th lathe off the Logan production line, one thing I did to
it was to borrow use of a Bridgeport to mill the tops and bottoms of the cast
iron feet flat, parallel and to the same height. Lordy be! The lathe worked
better when the bed wasn't being tweaked out of shape from being bolted to a
crooked base.

All those clever fixes you've wrote about at radio stations and other places,
can't be bothered to fix something right in front of you today that's causing
you trouble. Sheesh. ;)

Putting up with a problem that you know how to fix and can fix, sounds like my
father in his later years. :P He instilled in me the attitude of doing things
right, but when he got older he'd insist on doing things half-assed or flat out
wrong.

    On Sunday, April 21, 2019, 7:52:49 PM MDT, Gene Heskett
<ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
 On Sunday 21 April 2019 21:05:23 Ken Strauss wrote:

> Is it possible that the 3/4-inch shank is not properly relieved at the
> end where it meets the inside of the special TTS flange? If so and the
> nose of the R8 is not flat it might keep the collet from gripping
> firmly.

Its been around 4 years since I first met the TTS tool holders, and this
thread is, I believe, the first mention of this. I have about a rack and
a half of R8's, all of which are a bit convex. I also have a couple
rotary tables with chucks mounted, and a 4.5" CBN cup, so fixing this
will take little but lots of time and a round tuit.

There is no hope of tramming the g0704 unless one wants to spend days
fitting shim stock as the post leans forward about a degree, maybe more.
Another demonstration of TANSTAAFL as applied to an $1189 machine.

And yes, its solidly mounted to the bed casting, with all 4 12mm bolts
about 1/8th turn from broke. Just crooked enough to notice when a drill
bit in a chuck is mounted facing up in order to drill the taps socket
hole well centered in a 7/8" diameter brass tap hat mounted face down in
a 7/8" R8.