I do understand having the "attention span of a grape". Pretty sure I'm ADD
as my mind races ahead to the next step before I've fully absorbed the new
information.
Not sure what you mean when you say LinuxCNC is "is still very much a
command line type application". Setting the zero in LCNC simply requires
clicking the touch off button on the control panel. I've never had to type
a command to run a job in LCNC.

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 4:45 PM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:

> LinuxCNC is still very much a command line type application compared to a
> WYSIWYG graphical application.  Since I have the retention span of a grape
> I can bring up the help, read something, get rid of the help or put the
> sheet down and by the time my fingers get to the keyboard I've forgotten
> what I was supposed to type.  Even worst if I haven't used the system in 6
> months.
>
> Now with MACH3 I can clip my little PC board to the router bit, set the
> PCB under the router bit where I want my zero.  Click on a button  on the
> screen and follow the dialogs for what to do.  I even added a dialog that
> reminds me to unclip the clip from the tool.  And it was pretty easy to
> assign a button to something and have it throw up dialog boxes.
>
> Haven't got a clue how to do that with LinuxCNC.  I'm sure it's possible.
> But there aren't any buttons on the user interface screens.
>
> But until I solve some other issues all that is on the back burner.
> Waiting for a replacement CUI encoder to see if it's less noisy compared to
> a US Digital encoder.
>
> If after 100 rapid moves the return to 0.000 is 0.003 on the DRO then
> that's a far more serious problem that has nothing to do with Linux or Mach.
>
> But it's a great learning experience to be able to flip back and forth
> between the two systems with just a reboot.
>
> John

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world
is either a madman or an economist."
        -Kenneth Boulding, economist
Corporations are NOT people and money is NOT speech!