On 1/24/20 1:27 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 24 January 2020 15:03:46 bari wrote:

One thing that has come up when using LinuxCNC to control robots in an
automation cell is controlling more than one robot or machine at a
time. Or having LinuxCNC control the hand-off of parts between
machines and/or robots.

I don't believe hal would have a problem doing that, although for serious
lengths of queues I think I'd put a pile between the machines for a
buffer. That would complexify the hal, but no more than any other flow
control scheme. And it could be done right now plus fabbing the
mechanics.

If you are controlling more than one CNC machine, or robots at a time, you are actually talking

about a parallel system. (Work gets done in parallel.) That is exactly what HPCs/Supercomputers do,

And in parallel/HPC computing it is very well understood that you have to offload hardware/time dependent

work. That was figured out after the first (original) Cray supercomputers (SGI tried not to but failed). If you want

scalable parallel production, you have to offload work, and you start to need equipment that manages that too.

The issues with running different and/or multiple machines running in parallel, from what I hear, sounds very similarĀ  to the what

HPC/Supercomputing has been dealing with all the time, scalability. (oh and :) all these parallel computers use some sort of Linux, because

it scales really well).