Hi Jon,
But that's my point.  If I go through 4 different PCs from different sources
and each has latency issues at some point I'm going to say the heck with direct
control and let's use an Ethernet driven device.  At this point the step
generation and closed loop has moved out of the PC hasn't it?

And  BTW, these PCs are 1.8GHz and 2.4GHz.  Given we were doing EMACs back in
the 90's with 33MHz PCs (maybe with Fedora?  Don't remember) a fact of almost
100 times faster strikes me that these real time ports of Linux onto PCs isn't
what it's cracked up to be.   Otherwise the suggestion that it must be the
other hardware seems iffy.  And if the hardware cannot be controlled to that
extent because the drivers etc. are in the way then the solution is as the
subject line suggests, a separate open source hardware/software platform
running an RTOS that creates deterministic outputs.    But that would also make
products like yours dated and that's not my intention.

I'd certainly be up for having someone modify my HAL and INI files so that I
can do the 50kHz step rates out the parallel port.  After all WIN-XP and MACH3
can do it.    But like I said, I have trouble understanding how a 2.4Ghz
machine can't do what was done with smaller micros running much slower.

John Dammeyer