On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 19:24, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:

> And with a single point gear using LinuxCNC.  This looks to be the most
> complicated.
> https://youtu.be/SJQtx80euGM

If course, there is also the option of hobbing.
https://youtu.be/xdE46yvckbM

To make a helical you just need to swing the table further and feed a
bit of X travel into the A position with some HAL magic.

A swinging table isn't strictly necessary, you could use compound
motions, but you do need the gear axis in the right direction, so
would need to set the head and tailstock at an angle to the T-slots.

I think that making a pair of helical gears would be easy.

Working out the helix angle on a gear that you want to make a mating
pair for, though, I can see being harder.

--
atp
lunatics."