> > And with a single point gear using LinuxCNC.  This looks to be the most
> > complicated.
> > https://youtu.be/SJQtx80euGM
>
> If course, there is also the option of hobbing.
> https://youtu.be/xdE46yvckbM
>
> To make a helical you just need to swing the table further and feed a
> bit of X travel into the A position with some HAL magic.
>
> A swinging table isn't strictly necessary, you could use compound
> motions, but you do need the gear axis in the right direction, so
> would need to set the head and tailstock at an angle to the T-slots.

Impressive video.  Interesting how you set the angle precisely.  The thought
that went into building that attachment is also pretty cool.

So for LinuxCNC, if you have the A Axis and an encoder on the horizontal
spindle, how do you tell the system to hob the gear?  Just curious.  Nowhere
near being able to do this yet.  Don't even have my Harmonic Drive operational
nor an encoder on the spindle.  And my mill has the rotatable X axis but no
horizontal feature.

You mentioned the program you wrote so you can derive the numbers.   But
ultimately what does the G-Code look like for hobbing that gear?  Is there a
feature in the G-code for LinuxCNC that lets you slave the A axis to the
Spindle with a specific ratio?

Sorry for the ignorant questions.  Don't even know what to google to get these
answers.  As in I don't know what I don't know.

John