Yes, the better one is better, especially when you want to move to AB or
other plastic types.   Some people like to print on glass. I use aluminum
bed at 60 C coated with glue stick glue.   Glass with hair spray works and
blue painters tape.   Everyone developes their own prefferce.

As for software...

You really need some 3D CAD software or else  you can only print things
others have made.  Not a bad why to start. but you eventually want to peint
your own designs.      I like Fusion 360.  Others like other things.    But
one thig abut Fusion s that it can drive a milling machine or lathe.  You
can print of mill the same 3D model.  Fusion will figure out tool paths as
well as save to files that can be printed.

So you either download an STL file from Thiniverse or make a STL file using
fusion360 (or sketchup or freecad or...)

Then you run a slicer app.  I like Cura but others will like "Slic3r".
Both are open source.   Both accept an STL and then you set 100 parameters
and they creat g-code.     Don't even bother to look at the g-code.  It
might have literally one million lines of code and control 4 axis, 2
heaters and some fans

You can expect about 3 weeks of frustration because nothing will work, then
it will.

After a while you start thinging about parts design diferently because now
3D compound curves with an organicshape are easy to make.  Think of a
cordless drill case with an external round shape and interior made to hold
al the parts.   that ould be way-hold to make on a mill bu is a good
student project using fusion and a printer.  One of the tutorial walks you
through making a "saz-all"

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California