On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 5:03 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> Thats cute. But that would likely need to be made on a resin printer as
> this one from what I've seen so far, simply cannot do that fine a
> detail.

My "cut" on this would work because the glue joint is hidden inside, Andy's
is smart but does place the glued joint on a working surface.

> Someone was right, I did have "mold" checked. Uncheckd and new slice
> made, no other changes.  But perhaps 3 hours to finish this one,

One advantage of hollowing out the pulley with a 24mm hole is the greatly
educe print time.  I only print the  our 5mm of the pulley.   I'm printing
four ofthem, four-up at a time now.

> but its
> up into the pulley teeth but the threads its laying are completely
> random, no teeth, just a rough surface with no real pattern.

Are these "teeth" the ones that engage the belt or the ones that engage the
set screw?   Printing a threaded horizontal hole is going to be way-hard
with 0.4mm walls for this just make an undersized plain hole and then tap
it by hand.  Or just as well, let it try to make threads then clean it up
with a tap.    Vertical hones print better.

With standard threads in metal, every cross-section is a perfect circle.  A
vertical hole is just a stack of circles, something the printer can do.
But horizontal holes have "roofs".  The printer can't print over air so it
adds support material inside the hole.   I'm sure this is what you see,
 In Cura's preview support is blue.

It is possible to selectively turn supports on and off so the horizontal
holes are not filled with support.  But it is a lot of work   I use a hex
key to punch out the support from holes.

If the messed up teeth are the belt teeth then I'm at a loss without a
photo.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California