On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 10:44 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Friday 05 June 2020 10:50:38 Martin Dobbins wrote:
>
> > Quick thought on the teeth with a metal flange.  Would it be possible
> > to 3d print just the teeth and then have two metal flanges that make a
> > hub and "enclose" (sandwich) the teeth?

Yes, but the problem is printing a "roof" the bottom flang is printed on
the build plate.   The upper flange needs either support or to be made as a
second part and later assembled.   The second part can be metal or
plastic.  Any solution that spilts the pully into two parts avoids the roof
problem.

But you can also simply enable "supports" and the root is printed of
scaffolding that is later removed.   The trade off is that this "scaffolding"
they call "suppots" leave cosmetic marks o the surfaces it touches and
these have to be removed by hand and it can be a bit of work

> What generator software? Openscad, using the thingiverse parametric .scad
> files, cannot render a shaft of more than 9.9mm's, else we could do this
> by enlarging the shaft, so all we'ed have to print was a ring of teeth.

Yes, I used a 24mm bore hole for a mild steel hub.  A ring of teeth over a
metal hub will last for years but a plastic hub has a short life.  And the
plastic dos did not hold set screws well.  This is one solution
https://a360.co/3eUpZE6
<https://a360.co/3eUpZE6> but I don't like turning down to much metal to
make a flange.

My suggestion from day-one was to donload a finished CAD model from SPD/SI
web site.   These are accurate and i any CAD file format you like (they
have alist to choose from)   Then you have a known working pulley model.

Then in the CAD software create any hub or custom feaures you like.

Sticking with OpenSCAN you would use the parametric pulley to make a basic
pulley then modify it using openSCAN commands before saving to STL.  But
OpenSCAD is not well suited for general design work and has a big learning
curve.   Better to modify the pulley on OnShape or Fusion where it is a
five minute job.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California