Thank you.  I asked several other 'Linux' experts and their comments were all
pretty well like this.
"Windows will just let you click nilly willy on anything to run it .....
yeah, that sounds real cool .... what could possibly go wrong ....

Makes me wonder when Windows will get around to doing it properly when
Linux has been warning people forever when they are about to run an
executable instead of bring up a document in a word processor or a
picture in photo editing software or what-have-you."

The only conclusion I can come to, that the checked box for executables isn't
the default, is that indeed 99.9% of Raspberry Pi users are not that bright
where 100% of Windows users are.

Thanks again for finding that link.  I tried and failed.
John