> On 12/12/2020 03:41 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
> >> From: Nicklas SB Karlsson [mailto:nk@nksb.online]
> >>
> >> To make a link to a file "ln -s filename filename", read manual page
> >> "man ln", I always create the link in the wrong direction first time.
> >>
> > Oh gawd, that would mean using the command line.  How antiquated is that
> > when the File manager drop down menu and dialogs do
> it for you?
> >

> Can you do symbolic links with the menus?
>
> Jon

I guess the question is would you want to?  And if so why?  I haven't needed
one yet.

I'd like to emphasize here we're dealing with LinuxCNC and a graphical user
interface.  That means you have a mouse and a keyboard and possibly even a
touch screen and perhaps even a pendant.

The MDI line is obviously command line oriented because the language (G-Code)
is strings of characters.   The File Menu drop down gives the ability to choose
what file to load.

Move over to OctoPrint which on a Beagle and Replicape has been driving me
batty this week.   No command line there really.  In fact, the easy way is to
drag the gcode file over to the left side of the user interface and drop it.
Then double click on it to load it ready for 3D printing.

The days of going outside the card to manually crank the engine on the front
and then carefully adjust the spark advance lever as you drive are over.  For
many things the command line is the lazy way to a solution.  Especially when
there are tools that make dialog and menu oriented programs easy to write.

John