So.....   interesting..   I just swapped the gears..  Before my ratio was
100:1.   Input scale was 1600step/rev * 100 = 160000/360 = 444.4444444
input scale.

Now I reversed the outside splines.   I thought - wow - I must be losing
steps - but i would aways come back to zero.   Finally though - maybe the
ratio was now 102:1 - no.  over shot.

so the final solution seems to be 101:1  WTH?

sam