Hi Mathew,
I found with the knee that best I could do with a 1200 oz-in stepper on a 56VDC
power supply and a Gecko driver was 24 ipm with 3:1 driving the right angle
shaft, through a bevel gear into the 1" ACME screw with 4 TPI.

I swapped in a 750W Bergerda with 3.2:1 and now I get 150 ipm and that's scary
fast for the knee.  And I did upgrade the radial ball bearings and bushings for
the horizontal shaft to angular contact bearings.  The noise now all comes from
the angular contact.    To figure out what I needed I used the torque arm
approach.  Hang an arm on the end of the shaft and then add weights X distance
from the shaft centerline and see what it takes to move.  The 600 oz-in stepper
I started with was adequate but torque fell off too much with velocity.

The reason I mention all that is although the absolute power might be the same
for the stepper and the servo the servos tend to have far less continuous
torque but have impressive peak torque values for overcoming say static
friction.  After that the lower value kinetic friction and moving the load of
course, would bring  you back into the continuous torque value.

So where you are lucky if you get 1000 RPM with a Stepper of a particular power
the Servo can do 3x that but with lower torque.  At the higher RPM the HP is in
effect the same.  Ie. Lower RPM, more torque, Higher RPM with less Torque ends
up the same power.

So I'd keep an eye on the following error from the drive to make sure that you
aren't seeing issues due to lack of torque to spin the assembly up to speed.
Does your servo drive have a display?  Can it show power consumption?

John