On Wed, 2021-06-30 at 09:58 -0400, Mark Wendt wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:44 AM Valerio Bellizzomi <
> vale...@selnet.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2021-06-30 at 09:29 -0400, Mark Wendt wrote:
> >
> > > We still have not heard any reason(s) as to the necessity of
> > > having a
> > > code
> > > of conduct for this list.
> > >
> > >  Mark
> >
> > In my organization I have established codes of conduct and it seems
> > be a winning choice for everybody, no one here is concerned about
> > being
> > controlled or enforced, they know that codes are a necessary thing
> > for
> > an organization to be successful in the long term and vis-a-vis of
> > bigger and broader organizations with which we might interact.
> >
> > Regards
> >

> That's may all be well and good for your organization.  That doesn't
> mean
> it translates easily or well to other organizations like this
> one.  This
> group tends to be more oriented to machining, machine control and
> programming.  In all the years I've been on this list, I've never
> seen
> anyone publicly harass anyone, though I may have missed a post or two
> over
> those years that did contain something like that.  Pretty much every
> post I
> see on this list is either someone asking a question or requesting
> help,
> and a whole lot of people jumping in to try and fix the problem or
> help the
> OP work their way through the issue.  This group seems to be based on
> giving and receiving help for all the issues and problems that pop
> up.
>
> Again the original question I asked needs to be answered.  Why is it
> really
> necessary to institute a Code of Conduct on a group that's already
> well
> behaved?  Legal Reasons?  Someone feels that we need a CoC just
> because?
> What is the impetus for having this imposed?  And why does the CoC
> that's
> been written have to include all the political nonsense?
>
> Mark

here in my organization we are committed to software development and
computational research, this does not exempt us from the necessity of
codes vis-a-vis of other organizations which have one and the public
administration which requires organizations to have one.
You can live without a CoC for a small project, but as the project
grows and start interacting with many other parties, it becomes
necessary to be well organized.