Maybe it's a MESA issue?  It's set up as output type 1 which is 0-100% which
means either the Out2 should invert when pwmgen gets negative?   Or the output
should clip to 0 when the calculation determines a negative output.
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/hostmot2.9.html#pwmgen

BTW this is commented out.
setp   pid.s.maxerror .0005
If I set it to 0.05 then the spindle does stop but now the PID isn't very
responsive.  I have to add large amounts of P and I to get it to stabilize
quickly and at 100RPM it then surges

Set it to 0.5 and it goes wonky with the negative error again.  Any smaller
than 0.05 and response is so poor that it's really not a manageable system.

I could just switch over to using step/dir and do away with the PWM but that
likely won't solve the closed loop problem.   The AC Servo by itself is
responsive and stable.  But the pulley ratio means what I tell it isn't what
it's doing and that's an issue for tapping.

John