> From: andy pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 at 18:43, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:
>
> > Although if I understand the G31.1 correctly the Z axis tracks the encoder
> > reported speed right?
>
> No, that would be silly. It tracks the actual spindle position.
>
> G74 / G84 work  on open-loop velocity, but assume a tension/compression head.
>
> > So the spindle speed before the tapping starts and for reversing is really
> > more of a guide than an actual written in stone value?
> >
> > In other words, is the PID even needed?
>
> No, you can, in fact, turn the spindle off and rotate it by hand and
> LinuxCNC will still track.

Haven't tried that as the spindle servo enable is tied to the general system
enable so it's locked when not turning.  Handy since I can loosen and tighten
the drawbar without a second wrench.

At some point I want to add a few switches and a control so I can manually
switch on the spindle and set the speed without touching the mouse.  I can do
that from my pendant but it's not as convenient was what I'd really like to do.
 Plus still want to get into Modbus using the modio I have lying around here.

At the moment I can consider the PWM to 0V-10V with 60 slot encoder project
complete.   The PID works well enough to bring the spindle to the target speed
and hold it there.

I believe that if you are running PWM to voltage with the encoder back to LCNC
with PID that the +/- output is perfectly reasonable since the closed loop
control is only being done my LCNC and a minus voltage to the windings would
cause hard braking to slow down the spindle (or whatever).

But running a high end servo with internal PID that has the capability of
decelerating and spinning in the other direction rather than just braking to
slow down with a minus PID output from the LCNC PID is dangerous.  I'd suggest
rather than having to add a limit block, that the PID module have the same sort
of min/max parameters added.  Doing it outside the PID seems slower.

Thanks for everyone's help.  Time to rewire for step/dir and change the BIT
file in the 7i92H.

John