> On Jul 5, 2023, at 11:36 AM, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
>
> On 7/5/23 13:29, Thomas J Powderly wrote:
>> Since this thread has 'evolved' into free 3D modeling software...
>> Can I ask how to get Fusion 360 on a Linux box?
>> I remember several failed tries but I font recall why.
>> LinuxCNC community people seem to really like it,
>
> That seems to be true, but it is not free anymore. So I'm making parts for
> stuff on 3d printers using OpenSCAD as the design software.  You can be
> productive quite rapidly in it.

What?   Fusion 360 is still free for personal use or even for commercial use as
long as the bussines makes less than $50K.

If you want 3D CAD software that can run on Linux then you could try
1) FreeCAD,  Not unlike Fusion 360 but is mre limited and lacks sophisticated
manufacturing ability
2) OnShape,  Online, runs in a web browser and nit somewhat like FreeCad but
has ZERO manufacturing ability
3) OpenScad.  Good for very geometric designes that can be described in a
modeling language.  Good for gears, bushing and such but VERY poor if you
wanted to maybe make a car body part or a motorcycle engine cover

If the goal is to convert STL files to “real” CAD drawings that can be edited.
 Fusion is your best bet and even then you have to do a lot of manual work