Maybe use analog inputs and outputs and hook them up to a custom Python HAL
component that handles the serialization for storing between sessions?

https://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m66
https://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m68

Those hook into the motion.analog-in-## and motion.analog-out-## HAL pins.

-John