I still think analog inputs/outputs could be a good way to go. I haven't
run any of this, but something like this for the Python HAL component:

https://gist.github.com/jallwine/1a0ad4ffcee00f31e286c485ea38a609

And something like this to hook it up in HAL:

https://gist.github.com/jallwine/da023f11d859a7ae4d4a8b6974524386

Then you can use "M66 E0 L0" to copy the offset for joint 0 into #5399 if
you need to know what it is in G code. You can also use "M68 E0 Q0.1234" to
set the offset for joint 0. Change the E value to change which joint you
want to configure.