Hi Alan,

On Populism, strange, the silence you hear: and strange what you say re a nonniche Left--you don't think Sanders was a surprise? (not the miracle of the T-Effect)

...bound to be a refractory effect (which to include in T-Effect) of mainstream media, waves of which without fail wash over these shores, Waiheke where I am, and NZ, in general.

Here's the Pope with a call for moral action against Populism: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/pope-francis-warning-donald-trump-populism-evil-die-zelt-ends-badly-western-democracy-a7620016.html

Perhaps an auto da fe is called for? ...

The Left more united than before, but over what? (In opposition? To the hateful acts, which cannot be denied, and must be opposed, endorsed under T-Effect, a friend visiting US stoned with stones in the streets for the colour of her skin. (Not by many, but by a few, enough to count, armed with rocks, not to kill, more a symbolic act, passing utility trucks, GOP.))

...I would be somewhat circumspect about exalting in the dromospheric pressure of molecularised misnamed social media ... the rising heat there, is this not the definition of Populism? (pointless listening for the pop ... insulated by transfat in the cornpopper hopper ...)

And, no, I don't think your myopia. More my taking the clothes for the emperor. (Or a vision of Putin shirtless at Washington gates astride a white horse and invited in to declare himself Ruler of Byzantium.)

Best,
Simon