Dear everyone,

In light of Renate's post, the New York Times had an interesting opinion piece today. I know this is US-centric, but it's relevant to the discussion of interior/exterior, the two conversations:

The New York Times
Monday, March 13, 2017
NYTimes.com/Opinion

There are two words that didnt appear anywhere in yesterdays Sunday Review articles: Donald and Trump. If you want to see for yourself, Ive included links to every article below.

The Op-Ed editor, Jim Dao, came up with the idea in response to Trumps dominance of the national conversation. As Rachel Dry, the lead editor of the Sunday Review, explained:

Our ambitions with this Sunday Review were twofold: To highlight stories we think are important and engaging and to put forward an argument about the media attention the president commands. We decided not to overexplain the premise though of course, that is what Im doing now and hoped readers would find the section of interest whether they noticed anything different or not.

The closest the print section came to acknowledging its theme was what journalists call a refer a short summary of an article elsewhere that appeared atop the sections cover. It read: What happens when you dont talk about the one thing on everyones mind and referred to a piece inside by the comedian Joe Zimmerman.

Much of the attention to Trump is warranted, of course. In fact, its important. But it does have an unfortunate side effect: It crowds out discussion of other vital topics. In the weeks ahead, Id encourage everyone to carve out some space in their lives and brains for non-Trump topics.

======

This carving-out is increasingly difficult in the u.s., as discussion is dominated by the spectre (rightly or wrongly) of totalitarianism and brutality. So it's interesting that the NYT had done this, and just as interesting that the staff has pointed attention to it. We rely on cable news now (usually BBC Int'l) for news outside the deluge. And here, less attention is paid to the tweets (have they slowed?), more to the onslaught of legislation and hate-crimes across the country.

We need to carve out these emptied spaces for ourselves, before we're paralyzed completely.

Please send your comments, experiences, resistances, to the list!
We would like to expand the discussion of course; it's important.
If you live elsewhere, and the discussion seems less relevant - that's relevant as well; we're caught in a bubble in america...

Thanks,

- Alan