Dear Maria, Alan, Simon, Patrick  and all,
There seems to be two very distinct conversations going on here that I’m
wondering if we should tease out a bit.  It’s a tension I think that has been
at the heart of our listserv for a very long time, that between theory and
practice.  Issues can be theorized, politicized, philosophized on an
intellectual level in pretty memorable and sophisticated ways to help us
intellectually appease our inner anxieties or at least try to put them into
some kind of perspective.  In this discussion there is also the affective,
emotive, local one where individual lives are being dramatically affected.  In
fact both Maria and Patrick most recently highlighted those issues that
affected them more personally.

How do we make a difference?  How much do we write, discuss, intellectualize?
How much do we emote?  How often do we take action?  How do we strike a balance
that remains sustainable over the next several years.  Where can the local,
regional, and  private prove to have global affects?

Patrick what kinds of changes are you seeing?  How has your news shifted?  Do
you have US students?  So many questions today on Sunday but Maria’s post
reminded me how often on our listserv there is a  tension between theory and
practice.

Maria perhaps you are a writer or an artist but are your personal experiences
coming through in your work?

Looking forward to another week and thanks to Alan for leading us this month.
Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies