This long biographical post is one of the most useful things I have read
this November. Thanks for the honesty.

The position of the middle-aged not-so-middle-class white guy is one that I
share. The possibilities for a motivational narrative decline because a;
the avant-garde is happening in different demographics; b; the revolution
has not kicked off after all (not on your side anyway); and c; the
nation-state that has been such a pain in the ass for your whole life is
now obviously in decline and you along with it.

Now the long-neglected area of mainstream politics raises its ugly head.
How does the couch potato find a side to be on?

Middle-aged not-so-middle-class white guys don't like to comment on the
economics of their own lives because there are so many other people whose
opportunities have always been worse for chrissakes. On the one hand this
reserve is tactful, and let's keep it up dudes. On the other hand it's kind
of a stumbling block on the way toward a viable position.

Social democracy works like this: you draw a line around a set of people,
who are the included, and you strive to create an enlightened substantial
democracy for those people. They become literate, numerate, have access to
the arts and to self-expression, get health-care benefits, unemployment
insurance and a retirement fund, and also get to take some responsibility
for the complexities of the world through the complexity of their job. This
allows them to accept a technocratic form of rule which by its nature
cannot be understood in every point at all times. Germany is still more or
less the image of this system today. However, there is just one problem
with it: you cannot open the borders to what an unfortunate French minister
once called "all the world's poverty," or the good ship welfare is likely
to sink (as it has done in France).

Neoliberalism works like this: you give in to the pressure of the
internally excluded and open up the economy, not only to all citizens, but
also to pretty much anyone in the world. If they have education, they come
in at the high end and end up making policy in their own interest; if they
have nothing, they come in at the low end and do the dishes. You encourage
intense competition at all levels of society while gradually eroding every
element of so-called privilege that was built up in the attempt to make an
economic democracy for the formerly included. You focus particularly on
transforming the educational system so that it will no longer produce
people who seek justice (or even just a better chair for their fat white
middle-class ass). You offer bank credit as a means of access to a
revocable prosperity. After about three decades of this treatment the
population really is much more manageable. The US during the liar-loan boom
of 2004-06 offers a high-resolution image of neoliberalism.  One of the big
advantages of this policy is that the problem of being responsible to
complexity just vanishes! Another advantage is that the most powerful
pressure group that could oppose it, namely the white male former majority,
and especially the educated sector of it, has developed the nagging belief
that it should not do anything, because other people deserve the limelight
and the possibilities.

Populism: well, now we know how it works. The frustrated anti-intellectual
middle-aged not-so-middle-class white guys take over identity politics for
themselves and before you know it, they are talking about immigrants and
religion and natural hierarchies and guns and police, along with some other
much more passionate things that are coming, who knows when, maybe in a
week or two. This system is designed to destroy even the memory of social
democracy through a permanent outburst of explosive violence, which is not
only directly physiological but also psychological, rhetorical,
spectacular, national, international, military and ecological. One of the
advantages of the this system is that you can simultaneously forget about
and prepare for the coming state of civil war as the system collapses
internally and its closed borders are overwhelmed by failed
state/climate-driven migration. Another advantage is that if it works, you
enter a tunnel in which everything becomes inexorable and no light
penetrates for decades if not eternity.

My position, which appears to be lacking the fiery radicalism of my
trend-setting youth (or wait, was that early middle age?), is that
intellectuals, artists, educated people and professionals of all stripes
should realize that we need an organized collective effort to face and
overcome the imminent breakdown of the developed capitalist societies,
maybe not in Asia, but definitely in the old core. To do this we would need
the institutional relays of a somewhat more selfless version of social
democracy than in the past. The vanguard prestige that formerly accrued to
the most spectacular break with convention might have to be shifted a
little towards a kind of loyal-oppositional social service model of which
neighborhood activism can provide such good examples. Art might explore,
say, a little less narcissistic sexuality and up-market electronic
alienation, and a little more the tragic beauty of survival and solidarity
in the face of violence and death, for which I guess we could invent some
new aesthetic forms. Philosophy could trade in its apocalyptic fascination
with savage anomalies, hyperobjects and total refusal, for the more
pragmatic question of how (or through what form of organization) you can
become responsible to the complexity of the world when you don't have the
means to do so. Social theory would of course have a tremendous and
long-overdue renaissance, but it would have to dump the Hegelian exaltation
of historical negativity and master-slave reversals, and find a way to
replace the dubious statistical positivism of the postwar years with some
kind of ecological calculus that actually helps solve problems rather than
creating more of them. Finally, political science would have to come up
with a new accounting logic to replace inclusion/exclusion, along with the
hard binary of open/closed border. All these and many more branches of
active thinking/doing would need to learn to admire each others' efforts
rather than spitting on them, as we fiery radicals of former times sadly
liked to do.

There are a lot of middle-aged not-so-middle-class white guys with time on
their hands, learning to be couch potatoes by watching Fox and Prison
Planet, or maybe even Democracy Now! when they can get it. What if these
folks were to do what middle-aged women on the left appear to be doing,
namely getting politicized and getting organized? Well, the old farts would
not be able to claim they were doing it for any kind of liberation, which
has been the high-value claim since 1968, so they would have to quietly
organize a new narrative and hope that in maybe a decade they could have
something to be proud of and trumpet about in their curmudgeonly fading
years. Hopefully this could be done using different keys, different
instruments and different orchestrations than the ones that are currently
on display.

Seriously, guys, gals, young, old, black, brown, white, lesbian, gay,
trans, and everyone, we have our backs against the wall right now. The
solution is not going to be the same for everyone. If we are just honest
about our situation, well, it's interesting but it leads either to a
butterfly-effect bubble of hopeful hopefulness, or to a conclusion already
reached by Occupy: "Shit is Fucked-Up and Bullshit." Aren't there some
better ways?