On another, less theoretical, breezier, level, check out Adam Alter's Irresistable, The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping us Hooked, Penguin, 2017. The level of addiction and its basis in localized feedback loops is analyzed, as well as the engineering of these loops. We all internalize them.

I wonder why Brenda Laurel's older book, Computers as Theater (which I see has been updated, 2013) isn't mentioned.

And I wonder as well how many of us, from any political position, think we understand the 'other side,' and have 'the other side's picture' so to speak.

For 'epistemic bubbles,' the literature on addictions is enormous; I think even back to Terry Winograd's block world, microworlds, on one hand, and his later prescient book on Understanding Computers and Cognition: A New Foundation for Design (with Fernando Flores), with its emphasis on the potential of failure (if I remember correctly), from 1986.

And it's the idea of failure which pierces bubbles, allows new knowledge/ learning - whereas the failure of Trump and company leaks out only as fake news; they continue to totalize, suture, processes which are embraced by their followers ('Trump is my hero'); and perhaps we do the same 'on the other side' - if there is another side. The w/hole is troubling within and without...

- Alan