dear all:

a short while ago, Maria Damon wrote here about the raw confessionalism of
early comments in response to Alan Sondheim's proposed subject of discussion
(Trump and his global effect); she started off saying "Like everyone here, I've
been laid low by the unexpected turn in US  politics."   This seemed to echo
something I found, after re-reading, in Patrick Lichty's second letter, where
he states that "

<But then I realized like the United States becoming another country........my
privilege had died. and I was just another person.>

This week, it seems, discussion has reached a premature end of sorts where the
function (or usefulness) of this list itself is being questioned, and whether
its missive reach anyone.  I can't know the latter;
but did hesitate to get involved in the first place, and told Alan so, namely
that US internal politics (elections, new appointments, policies, executive
orders and what not) or a new temporary governor are not necessarily to be
mistaken for the apocalyptic dimensions you credit them with, they do not
derail nor preoccupy us all the time. I called it presumptuous; and admitted
you are welcome to call me naive, but I see no Hitlerian fascism and no
shirtless Putin riding on the horse. I see, from afar, a bumbling business man
and narcissist. That'll pass.

You speak of a large scale psycho-somatic effect, Alan, and even of a struggle
for "survival", in your response to Aviva Rahmani?

>>It seems an inverted form of totalitarianism, with a deeply inept leader, and
>>his staff, which are more directed and incredibly dangerous.
A final note - for those of us who are distraught, are there groups people
belong to, which deal with the internal psychological damage? In other words,
other than outward action, what have people found helpful, that  enables them
to survive with a measure of health?>>

I agree the empyre list may give us time (a month) to address situations or
themes with greater depth, more slowly.  But not many have followed this
invitation, which does not surprise me.

Still, I come back to the notion of a "sanctuary" and why this has sprung up (i
would assume in many instances without effect, without effect of direct action,
thus symbolic?)?
And listening to Simon Taylor's theatrical commentaries, which I still grapple
with, I wondered how a country can become another country? what does one mean
by this phrase, and was the exegesis of the economic and class shifts (just
think also of the left green movement and right populism and how similar they
are) in the US not saying exactly the opposite, namely that the country's
phases/states are/were predictable?  What we see is predictable.

The crisis in the middle east, the Syrian catastrophe, the massive migrations,
could they not also have been known (and we can go back to the Iraq Wars and
various economic & neocolonial power interests playing out in various regions)?
 Were not the anti-globalization protests quite militant (Genoa, Seattle), in
the early 2000s, anticipating the mess?

When you look at changing-processes, say, post genocidal or post apartheid –
countries or, rather, societies, undergo certain truth and reconciliation
processes; in Colombia it is a peace process, yes?  You are, then, speaking of
a few years of surviving the republican party in government?  perhaps take heed
of how many other societies have survived their jefes.

In my next post I'll try and come back to Simon's question about résistance and
self-romanticizing the theatre of operations (the micro-theatres), the schools
of non-compliance.

regards
Johannes Birringer