Hey everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller. ;-) Thanks to Dale for the
invitation to contribute.

I'd like to return, if I may, back to the concept of documentary, and what
a 'new media' form of documentary might exactly entail.

Documentary, as a word, stems from an idea of teaching using documents,
providing a factual record of something. And of course these documents, in
the filmic tradition, are necessarily visual, they entail surfaces and
images, which are read as one reads any surface or image.

But looking across the works listed here, it seems they are all struggling
to convey structure, not surface--something operational rather than
optical.

As Garrett and Frédérique have discussed, their work emerges precisely from
the frustrations with the six minute video, and how such a neatly packaged
duration in no way conveys the conditions of such a massive bordered space
(or indeed the 'life-times' of the subaltern as Tadiar would say, that
might go into building such a wall). The result is something that begins to
literally exceed the capabilities of traditional documentary structure, and
hence the time-code glitches with typical players and the need for a custom
player.

In a similar fashion, Dorit's work seems to be about the operations of
memory, in which the content is as much about the invisible as the
invisible--those things that our current technological condition has
rapidly erased through its hyperfocus on the now and its resulting
historical amnesia.

Toby's work is a 'vision quest', but one in which vision largely proves
inadequate. In these frames of running water and dark shadow, much is
hidden beneath the optical surface, and the power of such a work is
alluding to the forces, the energies, the latent capacities inherent in
these sites of significance.

For myself, looking at my "Null Island" as a piece of documentary
admittedly seemed very strange at first. This is, after all, a 3d
environment that one can explore, based on a fictional island at the GPS
coordinates of 0,0. And yet, "Null Island" does document a very 'real'
technological condition, a condition operating every minute of every day, a
condition made possible through an array of geospatial satellites, and a
condition that intersects with everyday life at the moment we take our
smartphone from our pockets.

GPS, like many of the 'documentary' subjects here, becomes political in
that it actively determines the possibilities available to subjects and
spaces. Such a politics, operating at the level of protocol, attains part
of its power precisely from its invisibility.

And this, then, might be the design brief for new media documentary, to
'document' the ubiquitous but often invisible logics that increasingly
infiltrate life-forces in our current neoliberal milieu. Such a brief would
include both content and form--locating significant conditions operating
unnoticed beneath our cultural and political landscapes as fitting subjects
for documentary, and at the same time, developing expanded forms of
'documentation' able to present these subjects: new intersections of sound,
media, code and presence that expands (or at least supplements) the
progressive display of still images at 24 frames per second.

best,
Luke Munn