Other than the usual suspects, there are thousands of email lists that aren't discussed at all - for example, the Spoons Lists which were early, mid-90s; think of Walkers in Darkness for example. Not to mention the huge numbers of newsgroups with their own cultures - the Doctress Neutopia stuff, alt.fan.dirty-whores, the hacking groups, etc. The cultures and networking among these groups were incredible. There are also the MOOs, etc. - we all know Lambdamoo, but there were so many others, and the furry etc. All these things were interrelated as for example the then ephemeral irc channels, and what constituted a network ranged from CuSeeMe coagulations through Powwow - even through bangpaths and the Accessgrid. Too many examples I think center on the usual suspects, where what was going on, as far as I knew (and participated in/with) was much more porous, more community-oriented and ideolectical, etc. At the 1996 Cybermind conference in Perth, we literally jumped from newsgroups to email lists to CuSeeMe to chats as well as live; everything mixed and interpenetrated.

- Alan