Welcome to the third and last week of this discussion about open source writing
and publishing on empyre. Firstly I would like to thank Adam Hyde, Salvatore
Ianconesi, Penny Travlou, Tiziana Terranov and Dmytri Kleiner for the dynamic
discussion they have established over the past two weeks, as well as all empyre
members who have posted emails to the thread. I hope everyone can remain
engaged as we move into the third week.

To recap the theme: in a globalised and highly mediated context we wish to
focus empyre discussion on how writing and publishing are currently evolving in
the context of global networks. We hope to engage a debate about open models of
writing and publishing and gain insight into how changes in notions and
practices of authorship, media, form, dissemination, intellectual property and
economics affect writing and publishing as well as the formation of the
reader/writerships, communities and the social engagement that must flow from
that activity. Specifically, we wish to look at examples of open publishing,
whether they be FLOSS manuals, copyLeft or CopyFarLeft or other publication
models, in order to look at new methods for knowledge making and distribution.
We also wish to consider how communities of shared-value emerge through such
initiatives and how their members are able to identify themselves to one
another and others.

This week's facilitator is Smita Kheria and our guests are Joss Hands and Marc
Garrett.

Marc Garrett is an activist, artist, writer and co-director/founder (with
artist Ruth Catlow) of internet arts collective http://www.furtherfield.org
(since 96) and the Furtherfield Gallery & social space in London. Through these
platforms various contemporary media arts exhibitions and projects are
presented nationally and internationally. Marc also hosts a weekly media arts
radio programme on Resonance FM, co-edited the publication "Artists Re:
thinking games" and is editing a new publication "Conversations As We Leave The
21st Century". He is currently undertaking a PhD at Birkbeck University, London.

Joss Hands is a lecturer at Anglia Ruskin University where he is Director of
the Anglia Research Centre in Digital Culture (ARCDigital). His research
interests are at the intersection of technology, new media, politics and
critical theory. His focus has been in two main areas. The role of technology
in providing an arena for the expression of dissent and the organisation of
resistance movements and the role of technology in more formal democratic
procedures, specifically the role of the Internet in contributing towards the
development of deliberative democracy. He has recently completed a book on
digital activism, "@ is for Activism: Dissent, Resistance and Rebellion in a
Digital Culture", published by Pluto Press.

Smita Kheria is a lawyer and lecturer in law at the University of Edinburgh.
Her focus of interest is intellectual property law and issues around
authorship, especially concerning artists' practices with new media. Smita is
an associate of SCRIPT: the AHRC Research Centre for Studies in Intellectual
Property and Technology and is Supervising editor (Intellectual Property) for
SCRIPT-ed, the journal of Law, Technology & Society.

best

Simon

Simon Biggs
si...@littlepig.org.uk http://www.littlepig.org.uk/ @SimonBiggsUK skype: