Hi Smita & all,

I want to try and respond clearly to some of the questions you pose below...

>It’d be interesting to explore thoughts (and experiences) on IP
>and development of open models of writing and publishing; how does
>it hinder and can it help, ever?; the motivations behind the
>use/development of open-models and the value attributed to such
>use; role and meaning of collaborative authorship for the
>participants. While several points in relation to these have
>come up in a number of posts in the last two weeks, it’d be great
>to develop them a bit further!

Firstly, anyone and group or institution who decides to close down possibilities of shared distribution, whether this be publishing, an on-line community/platform, or shared files; are proposing a power shift based on principles. This communicates to its users/community, its consumers "we are not open we are closed". The idea that this action creates quality due to proposed ideas in accordance to curation or similar conceptions, are either not acknowledging, not listening or are not aware or do not actually care; of the social disconnect and its consequences when closing down a 'culturally free-zone'.

If we are discussing traditional journalism in the UK, most of the individuals writing in these columns are either celebrities or ex oxford and Cambridge students. This declares that class distinction, status and privilege is the deciding factor in respect of who is worthy of 'official' respect and support amongst the ranks of news related 'printed & on-line media'. This spurious notion that (quality) selection is objective and in the end creates a higher quality press is a myth, it has more to do with upholding positions of power over others.

If we are to evolve beyond the limitations and the tyranny over consciousness, it begins with suborning law or bending it in accordance to our needs at the time. Because, as usual the elites are never ready to accept the needs of others, only their own immediate needs. Hence the constant building of stronger established frameworks and protocols in order to make their positions less vulnerable, by only letting in particular individuals into their fold that accept or become complicit with 'upper' peer agreements which, strengthening the infrastructures of these pantheons - in the Max Weber sense of the word.

This is why a blurring of what is deemed as 'legitimate' publishing has to happen, so that we can all re-asses these matters on a more level field, with the inclusion of publicly shared distribution models. Which is why discussions such as this on Empyre are important.

In my next post to you and all, I will offer actual examples referring some of the experiences and projects I have been involved in, as well as sharing comparisons that aim to highlight hermetically sealed cultures that act to close things of, relating to the very issues discussed above.

Wishing you well.

marc
Hello everyone!

 A warm welcome to this week’s guests: Marc Garrett and Joss Hands.

Thanks to Simon, Penny, Tiziana, Dmitry, Salvatore and Adam as well all other discussion contributors for their thought-provoking comments in the last two weeks. I have, as a lurker, really enjoyed the comments, examples and references.

My research interests are in exploring and investigating artists’ and users’ perspectives on creation, dissemination and exploitation of new forms of content and their relationship with authorship and copyright.

I’d like to focus this week’s discussion on intellectual property, economics and open models of writing and publishing. Collaborative authorship does not sit very well within the copyright framework (Seville 2006) and open-source models focus on sustaining collaborative production within the boundaries of existing IP regimes (Biagioli 2011). It’d be interesting to explore thoughts (and experiences) on IP and development of open models of writing and publishing; how does it hinder and can it help, ever?; the motivations behind the use/development of open-models and the value attributed to such use; role and meaning of collaborative authorship for the participants. While several points in relation to these have come up in a number of posts in the last two weeks, it’d be great to develop them a bit further!

Best,

Smita

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Simon Biggs <si...@littlepig.org.uk <mailto:si...@littlepig.org.uk>> wrote:

> [...]
>
> To recap the theme: in a globalised and highly mediated context we wish to focus empyre discussion on how writing and publishing are currently evolving in the context of global networks. We hope to engage a debate about open models of writing and publishing and gain insight into how changes in notions and practices of authorship, media, form, dissemination, intellectual property and economics affect writing and publishing as well as the formation of the reader/writerships, communities and the social engagement that must flow from that activity. Specifically, we wish to look at examples of open publishing, whether they be FLOSS manuals, copyLeft or CopyFarLeft or other publication models, in order to look at new methods for knowledge making and distribution. We also wish to consider how communities of shared-value emerge through such initiatives and how their members are able to identify themselves to one another and others.
>
> This week's facilitator is Smita Kheria and our guests are Joss Hands and Marc Garrett.
>
> Marc Garrett is an activist, artist, writer and co-director/founder (with artist Ruth Catlow) of internet arts collective http://www.furtherfield.org (since 96) and the Furtherfield Gallery & social space in London. Through these platforms various contemporary media arts exhibitions and projects are presented nationally and internationally. Marc also hosts a weekly media arts radio programme on Resonance FM, co-edited the publication "Artists Re: thinking games" and is editing a new publication "Conversations As We Leave The 21st Century". He is currently undertaking a PhD at Birkbeck University, London.
>
> Joss Hands is a lecturer at Anglia Ruskin University where he is Director of the Anglia Research Centre in Digital Culture (ARCDigital). His research interests are at the intersection of technology, new media, politics and critical theory. His focus has been in two main areas. The role of technology in providing an arena for the expression of dissent and the organisation of resistance movements and the role of technology in more formal democratic procedures, specifically the role of the Internet in contributing towards the development of deliberative democracy. He has recently completed a book on digital activism, "@ is for Activism: Dissent, Resistance and Rebellion in a Digital Culture", published by Pluto Press.
>
> Smita Kheria is a lawyer and lecturer in law at the University of Edinburgh. Her focus of interest is intellectual property law and issues around authorship, especially concerning artists' practices with new media. Smita is an associate of SCRIPT: the AHRC Research Centre for Studies in Intellectual Property and Technology and is Supervising editor (Intellectual Property) for SCRIPT-ed, the journal of Law, Technology & Society.

Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield