Dear All – I've tried to engage some of the points made in the last posts, if
not always directly.

As Marc argues, If publishing is rethought as a process of creating the
'stories than inspire others' which strikes me as a great objective, then the
exercise of 'redefining one's or a group's place by finding an alternative
space to have a publication made concrete, seen by others', seems like a
fantastic objective for publishing as a form of action that can in fact reframe
it not simply as a making public (with all its attendant problems) but as the
building of networks of mutual recognition and support.

However that suggests to me a more peer-to-peer style co-constructed network,
which in turn means publishing actually becomes, again, something slightly
different. That is a building of private, or at least bounded and protected
spaces for discourse and exchange that, frankly (as Davin suggests) keeps the
crap a bay (a reversal of its original sense). In public sphere theory this
would probably be understood as something like a counter-public, but again the
term public seems problematic here also as what we are really taking about us a
interlinked web of interlocutors building, as Marc says, something particular
and concrete - but also primarily in so doing, particular communities of
interest. I think if this is the direction ‘publishing’ will be pushed this is
no bad thing, but it does mean we are no longer speaking of a 'public' in
publication, this may be unavoidable, and not at all elitist, but in fact
progressive, given the historical and political roots of 'the public' and as
Marc points out with regard to those conservative strands in Arendt's writings,
perhaps good riddance!

What this also suggests then is an agonistic form of politics/democracy and
activism coming from such a re-tooled publishing agenda, a politics more in
line with the radical democracy advocated by Laclau and Mouffe. Perhaps this is
even an outcome of the technical character of distributed networks, which
informs so much of our current social evolution.  Anyway - might be best to set
aside the semantic point and ask what this does as a challenge to the
constituted power of capital? I would say publishing as a process of production
via deliberating peers building networks of recognition is a direct challenge
to the neo- liberal version of post-scarcity publishing (still having to use
that term for convenience) based on automated reputation systems, algorithmic
popularity filtering and so forth. I'm all for that. However do we likely loose
here the right to claim anything like 'public opinion' or a general consensus?
That has a certain price attached, so long as actually existing democracies
maintain ‘public opinion’ as their primary source of legitimation how are we to
anticipate being in any sense represented? Even if, needless to say, that
narrative is wearing very thin and not too desirable, it's about the best one
we have that provides actual levers to exiting political power. Perhaps it
would be better to turn to an older term which seems to be gaining traction,
the notion of the 'general will'? I need to have a think about that one!

Some of these points pertain to a number of the very interesting comments from
Davin. The gatekeeping, or pre-publication filtering in book publishing is also
shot through with an attempt to predict what will sell - and this also has a an
increasing algorithmic character to it. I'm agreed that filtering doesn't mean
elitism if done carefully an openly, but is that what publishers generally do?
Although given the position of different publishers in the market place there
are variable possibilities for filtering based on other criteria than simply
sales potential, though even, or perhaps especially, in my experience - and
from anecdotal evidence - the marketing departments of academic publishers are
increasingly dictating what gets commissioned. So here gatekeeping is still not
to do with elitism or not, so much as the tyranny of markets, I would say that
deliberative filtering in open publishing (or basically ‘peer review’), as long
as its done constructively and openly, is one way of supplementing the need to
somehow manage vast amounts of material without the worse elements of a
‘elitist’ gatekeeping, whether that’s through markets or a cultural elite. Of
course this still requires time, in itself a resource unevenly distributed, the
result of which is likely to lead to a core of individuals having more power
and influence, but this is probably more desirable than the neo-liberal
variation.

 Finally, As Marc says in latest post, referencing Michel Bauwens, the hope of
an escape from the logic of capitalist production by in a sense eliminating the
element of abstract labour from the production process is a worthwhile pursuit.
The downside, as ever, how to make a living? What happens to good commercial
publishers that still put out the things we like?  That’s fine for academics
like myself whose basic income supplements other kinds of work, but begs
profound questions for the economic system more broadly. Dmytri in an earlier
post makes a related point that in the end for such endeavours as peer-to-peer
production to expand beyond fringe or sub-cultural practices more profound
social change is needed. Here we would need, at the very least, a general
minimum income and the attendant upheavals that would entail. For me this is a
fine objective, but returns us to the sticky need for a broader revolutionary
movement and the question of just how likely that is, and I suspect I've now
talked myself into a corner so will leave it there.

Cheers, Joss