Dear Smita, Marc, Simon and everyone.

Many thanks for inviting me to join this fascinating, rich and varied debate -
I must confess so much so that frankly I'm not sure where to start. I am not an
expert, or anything like it, on IP or collaborative authorship or open models
but the context in which these issues have come up certainly raises questions
close to my own research interests, which I guess is where I might be the best
placed to offer a couple of initial thoughts that I don’t think have been
directly addressed so far. One area which I have reflected on in some of my
writing is the character of publicness in a digital and networked environment.
It strikes me that the move into collaborative approaches that aim to overcome
the notion of a single author (and all the baggage that entails) and ownership
as a meaningful and useful legal concept (whatever the broader implication for
subjectivity, economics, and society) raises real questions with regard to
politics, as a process of making public.

To publish, as a process of crossing a clear boundary between a private and
public forum,  that is to ‘make public’ assumes a distinct arena into which one
can place private thoughts. This borderline has up until ubiquitous distributed
computing rested with formal or quasi formal intermediary institutions that act
as filters or gatekeepers - or in other words, publishers. Such a policing is
indeed necessary to justify the very existence of pubic life as a distinct
arena that ‘represents’ us, and in that sense is the essence of the democratic
life of the bourgeois state. However, as the cost of publishing has been
reduced to something close to zero for a good number of individuals and
organizations, capital, and its concomitant bourgeois state, have significantly
diminished in their ability to filter and legitimate the work of a professional
class of public intellectuals and cultural critics. The presence of such
gatekeepers is also needed to enable the creation of value sufficient that a
class of public intellectuals can a) make a living and b) make themselves
distinct from everybody else for whom public life only exists to the extent
that they are consumers and/or processors of public knowledge or public reason.
Yet now this process seems largely reversed, in that the filtering process
takes place after ‘publication’.One clicks though to a recommended blog post as
readily as story in The Guardian if it comes well recommended. One of the
implications of the ‘massification’ of the Internet as discussed by Tiziana in
an earlier post, is precisely the generalization of this post-public filtering.
On the surface this suggests a form democratization, open publishing platforms,
or even Twitter and such like, enabling anybody to chip in, in that sense I
wonder to what extent this erosion - if developed far enough, can become a real
radical and challenging political moment, simply in its undermining of a
privileged realm of ‘representation’?

However, I also wonder just as FLOSS in the realm of economics, as Dimit and
others have argued in earlier posts, can readily be recuperated by capital, so
- perhaps - new forms of what might be referred to a distributed publicness,
can be readily recuperated by the ‘post-publication’ filtering mechanisms put
in place to enable them to be manageable and shared, given the broader context
of neo-liberal definitions of choice as little more than a market of ideas. In
particular automated reputation systems that contribute towards power-law
distributions in scale-free networks, clustering around ever more dominant
hubs. In that regard for me the compelling question that this raises is whether
the shift from an official policing of the boundary of publicness, towards an
algorithmic cybernetic policing, indeed the disappearance of the notion of
‘public’ as meaningful term at all, requires a recalibration of thinking about
publishing? Or its value as a term at all. This must also include ‘open’
publishing given that publishing itself is a concept that still contains a
trace of the process of a filtered ‘making public’ and perhaps is becoming an
oxymoron . Though at this point I’m a bit too tired to think this through
properly. But I do also think this in itself requires a re-engagement with the
key question of subjectivity, political subjectivity in particular, again an
issue raised by Tiziana. What can it mean to express political agency, to ‘act’
or to make oneself present in the sense that Hannah Arendt uses it, in this
context? One to sleep on I suspect. Apologies for a rather incoherent post but
hopefully I can pick up some more of these points, and some more developed
reflections on previous posts, in the next day or two.

Cheers, Joss