The other day I was in a wake. It was a man almost in my age,
Universindo Rodriguez. He died of a bone cancer and in his wake were
almost twothousand persons. He has belonged as young to an anarchist
group. He was in jail, severely tortured and later released. When he
tried to come back to Uruguay through Brasil he was kidnapped,
severely tortured and jailed again in Uruguay.
By the way his kidnapping in Brazil by some Uruguayan officers the
Plan Condor was made visible. The Plan Condor was the Chilean dictator
Augusto Pinochet's brainchild, a crusade against communism with all
the polices and the armies in the region cooperating, kidnapping and
killing dissenters in the whole region. Kissinger gave the green light
and these uncanny cooperation started.
We are a region in pain, that's because I feel that's right than
Sustenanzo will be exhibited in Chile, in the Museum of the Memory. We
have a similar Museum here in Montevideo and Buenos Aires has another
too. It could be a great idea to have the piece showing in all the
museums in the region.
My pain is still very visceral, I paliated it through writing, now I
meet an analyst each week and the pain shows up sometimes. My own
personal strategy has been the "flight forward", it means to postpone
the depression or the dark moods until later, forward.
But the pain is very present in everything I do and to walk my
homecity and cross or bump my torturers don't help so much. There are
are here sharing the same public space than us and they feel
themselves victors in a fair war, the war against communism.
I still wonder and ask myself all the time: how can someone, in the
name of some ideological reason, maim or kill someone with torture?
Ana

--
http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci