On 17/11/14 02:52, PierMartonGmail wrote:
the principle “violence as communication” is no help to me.
I can easily interpret everything around me as communication (and I DO listen
to trees, mountains, animals, no kidding).

It is good that art takes place in prisons, mental institutions, etc…but
empowerment may start with any kind of listening - of paying attention to…
yes, equally on this list... however, the 'defeat of impotence' as a remedy for violence is a formula which struck me, and this may simply be the powerlessness to act at all, or to be heard in all the noise.

I agree - and so there is communication - 'violence as communication' is no help; albeit that violence has been dressed up as performance in the discussion: however, violence as a form of expression is a different proposition. From the point of expression, expressing an intention, whether natural or anti-, it can acquire qualities of ritual or convention, conferring status or recognition, communicating, representing, and becoming performance or art.

Best,
Simon