On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, Christina Spiesel wrote:

As testimony to the importance of feeling and the emotions as guides to value -- something very much devalued at the moment as humanities and arts budgets are slashed and education is increasingly thought of as training.

-- Can you elaborate on this? This, in the United States, is a crisis of conscience and citizenry that is ongoing and worsening; humanities, arts, music, and even phys ed programs are being cut out of K-12 schools - not to mention artschools themselves, which are increasingly becoming vocational feeds for the tech industries. I do think this plays into our inordinate fear of ebola, our magnification of crISIS in general, and our deep ignorance of conflict and violence (although we practice both with impunity). Comments appreciated, and thanks, Alan