I haven't seen the certificate problem on OSX yet (I'm currently on the
latest MacOS Sierra prerelease-version).

However I'm not using the standard python version coming with OSX (which is
2.7.10), but use the brew version 2.7.12. I have also openssl installed via
brew (although not directly must be a dependency of another package).

I guess this is how to find out which openssl version python is using:

> python -c "import ssl; print ssl.OPENSSL_VERSION"

...which in my case prints:

OpenSSL 1.0.2h  3 May 2016

Cheers,
-Floh.