PS: I also cannot reproduce the problem when going back to MacOS 10.12's
default python installation, installing and './emsdk update' both work:

➜  emsdk_portable python -c "import ssl; print ssl.OPENSSL_VERSION"
OpenSSL 0.9.8zh 14 Jan 2016
➜  emsdk_portable python --version
Python 2.7.10
➜  emsdk_portable

./emsdk update
Downloading:
/Users/floh/projects/fips-sdks/osx/emsdk_portable/zips/emsdk_unix_update.tar.gz
from
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mozilla-games/emscripten/packages/emsdk_unix_update.tar.gz
Unpacking
'/Users/floh/projects/fips-sdks/osx/emsdk_portable/zips/emsdk_unix_update.tar.gz'

to '/Users/floh/projects/fips-sdks/osx/emsdk_portable'
x emscripten-tags.txt
x emsdk
x emsdk_env.sh
x emsdk_manifest.json
x README.md
Fetching all tags from Emscripten Github repository...
Done. 81 tagged releases available, latest is 1.36.9.

As far as I know, the problem on Debian Linux was going away when switching
from unstable Debian to a stable version.