On Mar 25, 2020, at 3:30 AM, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofe...@arm.com>
wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your comments. I guess you understand that I am always a bit
> nervous when the results of non-public conversations dictate the problem
> space. I have seen it often enough that people have made their measurements
> wrong, had wrong configuration, or had simply misunderstood concepts.

  Sure.

  My $0.02 here is that even in the absence of quantitative evidence, we know
that the recommendations in the document aren't wrong.

  i.e. there is little need to have a certificate chain 6 layers deep.  There
is little need to have each certificate be 16K in size.

  We may not be *exactly* sure why those things happen.  But we can make
recommendations for what *should* happen.  And, explain why certain (guessed)
practices are likely to be wrong.

> It sounds like we need a "myth-busting" document. Of course, it isn't certain
> whether the decision makers will indeed read RFCs but it would be worthwhile
> a try.

  I think this is it, for the most part.

> Also it appears that the authors could do something really actionable here,
> namely to update the hostap code to update the roundtrip limit.

  Hostap supports 50 round trips for TLS ACKs, and 100 if it's exchanging data.
 This seems reasonable.

> PS: Why aren't you a co-author on this document? You know more about this
> than anyone else.

  I'm one of the few willing to *talk* about it.  Most everyone else who has
this data its buried 6 levels deep in a large organization.

  Alan DeKok.