I think your ideas are very valuable.  As long as men are either afraid to
speak out on behalf of women and children's safety or allowed to use their
"power" to subjugate women, women will make very little headway in
controlling this problem.

In a very minor variation on your theme, I literally challenged my (male)
minister to deliver a sermon on the subject of Domestic Abuse Within the
Christian Community; I informed him that I would not join the church until
this topic was addressed and, when he tried to avoid personal responsibility
by appointing a committee to set up the service, I again informed him that
he personally must address the congregation.  To his credit, he did deliver
a sermon within the context of the themed service and he also told the
congregation that he had at first avoided speaking on the topic.  Also, the
service was amazingly well attended.

Linda K. Hopkins
Attorney At Law

On 12 February 2002, Rus Funk wrote:

 >What I would add, that I didn't read in the descriptions offered, is the
 >need to not only address raising awareness, strengthening services,
 >developing resources, etc... but also to challenge the foundations of
 >sexism, misogyny, racism and homophobia that keep men's violence
in >place-- the cultural change aspects of a "coordinated" (or collaborative)
 >campus-community response.

***End-violence is sponsored by UNIFEM and receives generous support from
ICAP***
subscribe end-violence OR type: unsubscribe end-violence
Archives of previous End-violence messages can be found at:
http://www.edc.org/GLG/end-violence/hypermail/