Hi all

I'm a Social Worker with the Australian government's main social security
department and I have a lot of contact with women who have been abused (I
don't like to use the term "victim" because it paints the women as
powerless when this is by no means the case). I'd like to affirm what
Lauren what Lauren Taylor wrote:

"Most people think of self-defense as what you do when a stranger jumps out
of a dark alley and attacks you. But as we all know, the greatest threat is
not strangers in dark alleys. And there is a lot more to self-defense than
knowing a few good strikes or how to get out of a hold (although we cover
that too).

I define self-defense as anything you do to keep yourself safe (including
prevention and avoidance, like listening to your instincts and picking your
friends wisely); to interrupt abuse or assault (whether physical,
emotional, or psychic); or to take care of yourself and recover from
violence or trauma."

Whilst looking at changing the structures that allow violence against women
to continue, self-defence is a marvelous tool for change at the most basic
level. "Victims" of violence are robbed of their self esteem and sense of
freedom, while self defence is a great way to help rebuild that. As both a
Social Worker and a student of karate, I can vouch for the fact that it is
an excellent way to empower women. The physical moves and blocks are
important, but as Lauren explained it goes beyond this. The focus is on
mutual respect and changing the boundaries of what you will not except from
other people.  I train in a class that is roughly gender-equal (regarding
both my fellow students and my instructors), and have found that it teaches
women that they are equal with men while teaching the men that women are to
be respected and not ignored.

I feel more specific training along Lauren's lines would be very beneficial
for women.

Regards,
Rich Turner

***End-violence is sponsored by UNIFEM and receives generous support from
ICAP***
subscribe end-violence OR type: unsubscribe end-violence
Archives of previous End-violence messages can be found at:
http://www.edc.org/GLG/end-violence/hypermail/