On 2/7/15 10:33 AM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
You're contradicting decades of experience with users being dragged
kicking and screaming to upgrade to new versions of things, long
after the one they're using is EOL. How many requests for help do we
get on gnupg-users related to prehistoric versions of PGP, for
example?

Not many anymore.  And the choice is between an orderly upgrade path or
a panicked one, and that's an easy call to make.

Yes, you and Patrick have made the real priorities clear now, and I've already said that I'm ready to move on. :)

And I sincerely doubt that Werner is going to yank the rug out from
under the community on a 1.4.x EOL in any case. So I find your
scenario here very dubious.

It's come very close to happening, multiple times.  Until very recently
Werner had been underpaid and undersupported, and he's got a wife and
young daughter to support.  Summer of 2013 he almost pulled the plug on
the whole thing in order to take a regular paying job to support his family.

http://www.propublica.org/article/the-worlds-email-encryption-software-relies-on-one-guy-who-is-going-broke

Yes, I've read the article, and followed the situation on the gnupg-users list with great sympathy (I was in the exact same situation not that long ago).

If we were still in the scenario where Werner was underfunded I might have been just as worked up about this issue as you are. You call me "naive" for wanting to focus on the present reality, I can just as easily call you a fear-monger for wanting to ignore it ... Or we can actually move on, as I've said I'm ready to do several times now. :)

Doug