On 13.02.18 14:50, David wrote:
> On 2/13/2018 2:13 AM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>> On 12.02.18 21:45, David wrote:
>>> I can 'check the box' but it does not stay. I can change the wording of
>>> the 'encrypted Subject wording' and it stays changed. The feature does
>>> not change the entered Subject:.
>>>

>>> Suggestions please?
>>
>> I think there's an error in the preferences dialog - the value from the
>> GUI is not related to the preference used in Enigmail.
>>
>> You got a dialog asking you if you want to enable "Encrypted Subjects"
>> or not. If you didn't click on "Encrypt Subjects" then the feature is
>> off by default and you can turn it on for every message individually. To
>> change the behavior, you can change the hidden preference
>> "extensions.enigmail.protectedHeaders". Setting the value to 2 will
>> enable the feature permanently.
>>
>> -Patrick
>
> Understood. At the prompt 'no' means never and forever. 'Yes' means
> always and forever. And the GUI 'check box' in the preferences appears
> to do do nothing.

Not quite. The prompt only changes the default. You can still adjust it
using the toggle icon in the toolbar.

I already fixed the bug in the preferences dialog, such that it will in
the future allow to change the default as explained above.

> Related. Enigmail 2.0 beta 1 'removed' the Lock and Pencil Icons that
> were present in Enigmail 1.9.9 (can be returned by "Customize") and
> while doing that I found a Icon that toggles "Protect subject" per message>
> In the GUI, where the 'checkbox' does nothing, if I edit the 'message'
> to change the 'Encrypted subject' it breaks the feature and the Subject
> is not 'protected'.

I can't reproduce that. It works as expected for me.

-Patrick