On 2018-04-15 21:20, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> The main question is: where does the double Re: come from? If
> possible, I'd prefer to eliminate the source of the error, rather
> than trying to fix the consequences.

Absolutely. Since my last post, I've noticed at least one problem with
my patch that's a direct consequence of this approach: if I save a reply
as an encrypted draft, then decrypt and reopen it, it loses its last
Re:. I'm sure this is fixable, but it does speak to the hackiness of my
solution.

> I'll try to figure out what goes wrong ...

Here's what I know. Thunderbird removes the Re: here[1], setting a
HasRe flag on the message header instead. It seems that this never gets
saved anywhere. (Following the function call there, Thunderbird's
process for stripping Re: involves a preference, mailnews.localizedRe,
which I guess is where I'd look if I wanted my patch to handle local
variations).

Since Enigmail doesn't change the stored subject, only the subject on
the header object, when it sets the subject it gets its removed Re:
back. But, for reasons I don't fully understand, removing the HasRe flag
on that header object doesn't do anything. So the proper fix would
involve getting the HasRe copy of the Re: to go away. It's just a
question of how to do that, which at least to me is not obvious.

[1]:
<https://dxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mailnews/local/src/nsParseMailbox.cpp#1259>