On Thursday, 21 July 2005, at 15:50:20 (+0200),
Martin Geisler wrote:

> Well, reading through the Usage Notes section on Wikipedia is
> interesting.  We're dealing with bytes in all six cases, but there are
> differences:
>
> * A MB of RAM is 1024 * 1024 bytes.

Agreed.

> * A MB on a harddisk is 1000 * 1000 bytes if you're the
>   manufacturer, but 1024 * 1024 if youre the OS,

Marketing ploys by manufacturers should not be allowed to redefine
well-established nomenclature.

> * A MB on a floppy disk is 1000 * 1024 bytes,

A 1440 floppy is correctly referred to as 1.4MB, not 1.44MB.
Again...bad manufacturer.  No cookie.

> * A MB on a CD is 1024 * 1024 bytes.

Yup.

> * A MB on a DVD is 1000 * 1000 bytes.

Same deal as a hard drive.  It's a ploy.  Just remember a standard DVD
holds just under 4.5 GB.

> * A MB/s on a bus means 1000 * 1000 bytes/s.

Ploy.

> You must admit that this context sensitive unit 'MB' is everything
> but clear with no less than three different interpretations.

The only one of these that isn't well-defined and well-known is the
bus speed example.

If we allow learning curve to dictate our modus operandi, why aren't
we all using MacOS and an iMac?

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>