On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 12:03:27 +1030 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:

> On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 05:33:45 ACDT, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 20:57:17 +0900
> > Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>  h) I think at some point we may have to do our own distro that
> >> integrates E well and shows it off out-of-the-box.
> >
> > I would be interested in such. There are a couple existing.
> > http://www.elivecd.org/
> > http://www.bodhilinux.com/
> >
> > If not using either of those, I could likely help with one based on
> > Gentoo. Either livecd or stage 4 base system, etc.
>
> Neither of the 2 above ship the latest e, at some point I will start
> creating e images again to use with openQA as part of testing, the only
> thing I need before I can spin up an "Enlightenment OS" is probably
> matching Grub2, Plymouth and lightdm branding. I suggest we tackle that
> after we do e's theme though. But if someone wants to get to it sooner
> why not.

we were discussing on irc with you.. i thought i'd bring some of that here.

i think we should look into opensuse as a base. it will allow for a more
minimal os than something like arch or gentoo (though maybe on par with
debian). mostly because simon has been around with us for years and years and i
trust him not to vanish. i think working with him to at least investigate would
be good.

so my take also is to strip out as much as we can get away with. that would
mean no lightdm. no plymouth. have the system boot right into a fixed user with
no login (have e optionally ask for passwd on startup).

keep the thole thing as simple as needed then fill these things in as we have
nice solutions.

> I have made some raspberry pi images, but they are using an older efl
> from before I tried to switch to luajit on aarch64.

we can just stick to 32bit arm until this is resolved.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com