Hello

On 22.04.19 04:32, Simon Lees wrote:

> On 17/04/2019 22:45, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 08:19:35 -0400 Mike Blumenkrantz
>> <michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are currently in the 1.23 release cycle, and it seems agreed upon
>>> that
>>> we are planning to remove autotools prior to the 1.23 release.
>>> Overall, the
>>> meson build is in reasonable shape--there are some small issues on
>>> our main
>>> platforms (and larger ones for Windows)--and it should not be an
>>> issue to
>>> meet this goal.
>>
>> i thought meson was in better shape...
>>
>>> With this in mind, I would like to propose a freeze on the autotools
>>> build
>>> starting Friday. This means that we no longer modify the autotools
>>> build in
>>> any way in the master branch (excepting outstanding patches in phab),
>>> and
>>> instead focus entirely on ensuring the quality of the meson build
>>> system.
>>
>> i think we should push this off a few more weeks/month or 2.
>>
>>> There is not much action which would need to be taken for this:
>>> * stop patching build files
>>> * disable CI jobs for autotools
>>>

>>> I think this would help to streamline build system development and
>>> reduce
>>> overhead for this release.
>>
>> i agree on this - but the autofoo needs to still work and be up to
>> date until
>> the point where meson is equivalent - the windows work is one ware it
>> needs to
>> catch up on for sure as well as some other niggles. get all of these
>> up to
>> snuff and... yup. drop autotools.
>>

> Meson also doesn't work on some of the longer term distros that only
> ship Meson 0.46 (while e does), at least from the last time I tried it.

When you say some you mean only OpenSuSe or also other longer term
distros? I am not the biggest fan either of having to use newish
releases of build tools but meson develops more rapidly and we actually
did fixes on meson itself to build efl ( as well as gaining the needed
performance).

We also need to see this in some context. Meson 0.46 was released on
23.04.2018, which makes it a full year old by now. There actually is a
0.50 release now. We are not just using the latest of meson here, we use
what we need to have efl building sanely for us.

If I look around at other long term distro releases I can see this:
- Debian stable has a recent backport
- Ubuntu 18.04 (LTS) does ship 0.45.1 and I can't find a backport -> problem
- Fedora has 0.47.2 back to fedora 28 and Fedora EPAL 7
- OpenSuse Leap 15.0 actually offers 0.46.0 while Leap 42.3 is still on
0.40.1

To mean that means I would like to know if you consider Leap 42.3 an
important target for an upcoming EFL release (does it actually have all
the other deps fr such a new release?). Also we need to find out if
there are backports of meson >= 0.46 for Ubuntu 18.04 which I have not
found.

regards
Stefan Schmidt