Hi

On 24/04/2019 17:47, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
Hello

On 22.04.19 04:32, Simon Lees wrote:

On 17/04/2019 22:45, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 08:19:35 -0400 Mike Blumenkrantz
<michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> said:

Hi,

We are currently in the 1.23 release cycle, and it seems agreed upon
that
we are planning to remove autotools prior to the 1.23 release.
Overall, the
meson build is in reasonable shape--there are some small issues on
our main
platforms (and larger ones for Windows)--and it should not be an
issue to
meet this goal.

i thought meson was in better shape...

With this in mind, I would like to propose a freeze on the autotools
build
starting Friday. This means that we no longer modify the autotools
build in
any way in the master branch (excepting outstanding patches in phab),
and
instead focus entirely on ensuring the quality of the meson build
system.

i think we should push this off a few more weeks/month or 2.

There is not much action which would need to be taken for this:
* stop patching build files
* disable CI jobs for autotools

I think this would help to streamline build system development and
reduce
overhead for this release.

i agree on this - but the autofoo needs to still work and be up to
date until
the point where meson is equivalent - the windows work is one ware it
needs to
catch up on for sure as well as some other niggles. get all of these
up to
snuff and... yup. drop autotools.

Meson also doesn't work on some of the longer term distros that only
ship Meson 0.46 (while e does), at least from the last time I tried it.

When you say some you mean only OpenSuSe or also other longer term
distros? I am not the biggest fan either of having to use newish
releases of build tools but meson develops more rapidly and we actually
did fixes on meson itself to build efl ( as well as gaining the needed
performance).

We also need to see this in some context. Meson 0.46 was released on
23.04.2018, which makes it a full year old by now. There actually is a
0.50 release now. We are not just using the latest of meson here, we use
what we need to have efl building sanely for us.

At the same time, Debian, Ubuntu and openSUSE are all running Stable releases that extend out to 2 years, when you consider that these also generally have feature freezes for sometime before seeing a 2.5 year old version of a build tool or other core OS components towards the end of there lifecycle should not be surprising. Its obviously been less of an issue with autotools / gcc / cmake as these projects are more mature and are intoducing fewer really useful things.

If I look around at other long term distro releases I can see this:
- Debian stable has a recent backport
- Ubuntu 18.04 (LTS) does ship 0.45.1 and I can't find a backport -> problem
- Fedora has 0.47.2 back to fedora 28 and Fedora EPAL 7
- OpenSuse Leap 15.0 actually offers 0.46.0 while Leap 42.3 is still on
0.40.1

To mean that means I would like to know if you consider Leap 42.3 an
important target for an upcoming EFL release (does it actually have all
the other deps fr such a new release?). Also we need to find out if
there are backports of meson >= 0.46 for Ubuntu 18.04 which I have not
found.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

I don't consider 42.3 important, its close to end of life, soon we will have 15.1 as well. But for us 0.46.0 will be what we have for the 15.X series, i'm guessing there will be atleast another 2 releases.

Leap takes its build system components from SUSE enterprise, who really don't like updating build tool versions as it means that if any package using that buildsystem is updated even with just one patch it will likely need to undergo a full QA retest, where as if only a small area has been patched that will generally be tested.

Having said that, there has been cases where a significant number of packages (most of gnome for example) have needed a newer cmake in a service pack update and it has been taken and people have dealt with it but such a thing shouldn't be counted on.

Cheers

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30