On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 11:00:28 +0930 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:

> On 9/5/22 19:49, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 11:16:03 +0200 Andreas Volz <li...@brachttal.net> said:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> just a question if there is a Discord[1] Server for Enlightenment Users
> >> & Developers? What is your opinion about to create one?
> >
> > Why not just use matrix? Have you tried it? If you want a "modern works on
> > mobile apps and works in a web browser" kind of chat experience, matrix
> > provides that - e.g. use element.io to access matrix and the #e channel ...
> > which is the same as the libera #e irc channel. What is it about discord
> > that is specifically better than Matrix+Element in this case?
>
> 1. I can reset the password for my account (I've been locked out of
> matrix for years because the password reset simply doesn't work for me).

create new account?

> 2. There is a tonne of people who are already there and using it for
> other communities (as with irc), in the openSUSE community we ended up
> with a Discord community because a bunch of users who were already there
> created one then later it became official.

there is no discord community of e users i know about. the idea of running
discord all day as it's a full electron app is almost offensive so it'd have
to be worth it for a benefit. discord shines for things like gaming where you
want to stay on a shared voice channel with your headset while playing the game
and with people who play regularly able to share chats when off-game. for e? i
don't see it being a strong point of discord unless there is a community there
already.

matrix does handle the "modern, mobile" etc. solution while not forcing it on
everyone and being elegant and clean unlike protocol bots.

> > I agree - modern tools are good. Matrix + element provide that AND provide a
> > link back to old IRC. It means the channel is not owned by some company that
> > might change policies in future.
>
> In the openSUSE case we also have a bot running in Discord that bridges
> the chat between Matrix and Discord, in some but not all cases for
> openSUSE this also feeds into irc. So for me the people rather then the
> tools are why i'd go for Discord over Matrix, as long as nothing long
> term important lives there if things change you can just tell people
> your leaving / moving if terms change.

so i ask - what people? how many are already on discord and not using irc or
matrix for whom a discord presence would be useful (for e)?

the bot solutions are horrible unless integrated into the irc (or matrix)
serve. you end up with everyone being some name of a bot like:

 <P64ProtocolBot> [M] <gischpelino> try to flash recovery firmware
 <P64ProtocolBot> [M] <gischpelino>
 <P64ProtocolBot> [T] <Tyler> maemo? is under drovak in the list?...

so everyone is the bot ... matrix and irc to integrate properly. telegram,
discord do not. at least what i have seen. i actually actively avoid responding
to those channels i'm on and am considering dropping them as i can't
tab-complete a nick due to this. if there was clean integration like matrix and
irc (libera) then that'd be a solution to keep everyone happy. but i'm a bit
loathe to spend days of my life setting this up - if it did exist (i know how
this goes - it will take days), if there is no one there to use it. matrix +
irc are right now a solved problem. (well minus your account reset issue... :))

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com