On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 12:25:31 +0200 Andreas Volz <li...@brachttal.net> said:

> Am 06.09.22 um 03:30 schrieb Simon Lees:
> >

> > On 9/5/22 19:49, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> >> Why not just use matrix? Have you tried it? If you want a "modern
> >> works on
> >> mobile apps and works in a web browser" kind of chat experience, matrix
> >> provides that - e.g. use element.io to access matrix and the #e
> >> channel ...
> >> which is the same as the libera #e irc channel. What is it about
> >> discord that
> >> is specifically better than Matrix+Element in this case?
>
> Sorry Raster, I've not received your mail in my E-Mail client. Only the
> reply from Simon. I've to adjust my spam filer.
>
> I didn't know Element before. Don't know if it brings same benefits as
> Discord. I could just say I love using Discord. I use it for other
> developer groups and it's fantastic. We share screenshots, files, videos
> as Gif or mp4 to show us problems or features. Direct video play in the
> chat window. Emotional reactions. Even voice and video chat rooms are
> possible. People come there as it feels good.

you can do that with matrix + element (matrix is the network, element is a
client - has web ui as well as mobile apps for android too etc.). the contact
page tells you about the matrix #e channel:

https://www.enlightenment.org/contact

you can upload voice messages actually do whole video.voice calls,
insert/upload image,s videos and other files. it ALSO integrates to irc
seamlessly. i use element on my phone and that';s why you see raster[m] as that
is my matrix user in the channel.

> > 1. I can reset the password for my account (I've been locked out of
> > matrix for years because the password reset simply doesn't work for me).
> >
> > 2. There is a tonne of people who are already there and using it for
> > other communities (as with irc), in the openSUSE community we ended up
> > with a Discord community because a bunch of users who were already there
> > created one then later it became official.
> >
> >> I agree - modern tools are good. Matrix + element provide that AND
> >> provide a
> >> link back to old IRC. It means the channel is not owned by some
> >> company that
> >> might change policies in future.
> >
> > In the openSUSE case we also have a bot running in Discord that bridges
> > the chat between Matrix and Discord, in some but not all cases for
> > openSUSE this also feeds into irc. So for me the people rather then the
> > tools are why i'd go for Discord over Matrix, as long as nothing long
> > term important lives there if things change you can just tell people
> > your leaving / moving if terms change.
>
> In many groups is a bot with a GitHub bridge that allows easy following
> of current changes or things like received Github stars.
>
> So I vote for creating one, try it for some month and if nobody likes it
> the server dies from alone. :-)
>
> Bad thing is the name "enlightenment" is taken. :-P

it will not be integrated with #e on irc or matrix. i'm not sure how good that
is? why not try element/matrix and you might find it does all discord does but
isn't reliant on a company that needs to go make money to keep working and it
integrates to the old irc network too so everyone stays happy. :)

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com